Friday, June 2, 2017

Making Progress on 17 UFO's

Knowing May would be a busy month, I worked hard on my 17 ufos in 2017 list early on in the month. It felt good to knock two quilt tops right off the list: Rising Sun and the Improv. Woven Basket
Two more finished quilt tops!
And all through the month I made myself keep plodding away at the Vintage Coxcomb blocks too. The star pieces took a surprising amount of time and it took forever to figure out the most efficient way to get them into place. Finally after sewing {and then seam ripping} the fifth block, I got smart and marked the circle shape onto each block. It's not a perfect solution, but it really helped with placement of the star tips, of which I did not want to be same-o, same-o from block to block. There seems to be enough variation to satisfy my imperfect soul and now I'm just looking at sewing the circle shape onto the remaining 10 blocks. This part is easy and by the end of the month I should definitely be playing with layout!
Vintage Coxcomb blocks
Learning Curves is in the hoop and making very slow forward progress as well. There have been a lot of interruptions the last couple weeks and also, I've been focusing a lot on the applique projects. All my hand work time seems to be in the late evening and there often is a choice that has to be made, applique or hand quilting? Occasionally, the applique wins out, especially if I'm really pushing a project completion such as with my Vintage Coxcombs blocks above.
Learning Curves in the hoop
This latest border on Folksy Flowers was a mixed applique/pieced border and so of course it had to be slipped into the queue too. I tell myself, 'Oh it's just a little bit of hand work' and then three days later I finally finish up.*groan   There will be two more rows added onto each corner of the quilt and then there will probably be one large row to enclose the entire quilt. I've been trying to make sure the corners of each of the latest rows are not cut out on the bias, but there definitely is a bit of wonkiness with this quilt. Hopefully not enough to ruin the quilt! Crossing my fingers with this one.....
Folksy Flowers border
So that's that. Two more items marked off the list and forward progress on three others. Not bad for a crazy, busy month!
Marking things off the list!
Time to link up with Meredithe and other fellow quilters over at Pomegranate and Chintz!

18 comments:

  1. I couldn't join that link up- I do not have 17 UFO's LOL - so glad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the UFO's are such lovely projects--so original...I love the Coxcombs a lot...I would love to make quilts like yours...am going to try to step out a bit and try out my own ideas and drawings...(not that I can draw worth a darn, but...even so). Finishing up my last quilt for family (Chez Nous) right now and so the next projects can be pour moi!! Maybe I'll feel looser about trying things out for that...
    Love your posts hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't your list look great with items crossed off! Your vintage 'coxcombs' blocks look appealing, love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh you are so prolific. And always so many awesome projects on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these projects. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that list and all those cross offs. Your monthly projects are awesome as always filled with color, pattern and innovative problem solving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are certainnly doing well with your ufos. Getting those circles exactly right on the stars looks a challenge but you have done it so spot on. Loving the curves I cannot do them tried drunkards path but no 2 came out the same the only circle I do is a hand quilting one that I draw onto the fabric using a cup, plate etc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something so satisfying about crossing things off a list, isn't there? You are making great progress, especially given how much handwork you need to do. As an aside, every time I visit and see Learning Curve in the top right corner I think how much I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting looks very good! And well done for keep going with the Ufo list. This year I was planning to work on my ufo's to but instead i joined a challenge and started new things.. I should follow your lead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors in Learning Curves...beautiful to see it in the hoop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good progress! I'm intrigued by your Vintage Coxcomb project - I've wanted to do traditional coxcomb applique for years - your take on coxcombs is definitely cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all lovely, of course, but I'm drawn to the corner borders in Funky Flowers. It will be great to see the entire quilt. Keep working, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. terrific progress...love how you keep your tally...i too am concentrating on UFOs....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the closeup of the flowers in your basket quilt. I've got funky scrappy basket blocks that I'm trying to figure out what to 'plant'in them and have can't seem to move off of the idea of geraniums but don't know how to do a simplified version. Your might just do the trick! p.s. Don't you just luuuv making things off your list?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on all of your progress!! I am always inspired by your work and especially the improvisational way you make things. You have a great eye for it!! I know it feels good to get some more items checked off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you are making great progress! I really love your narrow borders on the folksy flower. Each one is so different and interesting. You know, I cannot pick a favourite today, everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are moving so many pretty things ahead, bit by bit, and it's fun to see the progress you're making! I am smitten with your Learning Curves quilt. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing accomplishment! I need to go take a nap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.