Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Folksy Flower Coming Into Its Own

Finally, all the diagonal borders are attached to Folksy Flowers! It's been a a long, drawn out process as I started this quilt way back in 2015. Some quilts just take longer than others to come about. The full idea of this quilt apparently needed to marinate and simmer, slowly growing into its own. Either that or I was just practicing avoidance. Sometimes I honestly can't quite tell the difference!
Adding on another border....
At the beginning, there was a stack of fabrics that I kept pulling from. Occasionally I had to dig into the stash in search of another fabric, but mostly that initial fabric pull stayed true. The large flower with smaller flowers scattered across the middle was initially inspired by a piece of embroidery? I saw on a random blog one day while blog-hopping. I was never able to properly back-trace my steps {although I tried valiantly}, and there it was, stuck in my head, eventually sparking this entire quilt idea.
Finally getting to see it with all the diagonal borders...
I've been wanting to play with this sort of medallion for years, but was a little bit nervy about the idea. You know, because of possible bias stretch issues? And yep, it definitely happened with this quilt. The outcome is not completely horrid. I'm giving it the Pollyanna talk for now, assuring it that 'lots of hand quilting should help tremendously'. And really, I'm okay with that. It is a 'folksy' quilt after all.
Never know where a seed of an idea can take us!
At this point I'm considering whether or not there will be one more border to finish the quilt off. I briefly toyed with the idea of a one-fabric border in perhaps a lighter color, even dug into the stash for possibilities. Finally, I had to throw up my hands in defeat. There isn't anything lurking around in these stash totes that will do the trick and frankly, I'm not convinced it will settle for a wimpy simple, one-fabric border. After all the other border-work, why not finish with something a little more interesting? So I'm thinking hard about this one. Sometimes 'simple' really is the best option.

24 comments:

  1. Looks great right now. It's already a good throw size isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just wonderful! I do think a top and bottom border would be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folksy flower is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great, very 'folksy' & different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun!
    (I'm picturing a final border of irregular toes - semi-circles echoing the flower's curvy bits. But I'm confident you'll come up with something perfect - you do know how to listen to a quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different flower center. Your mind goes further out than mine does. I wish I could be more spontaneous like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about piano keys? They would radiate out like rays of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I like the idea of the piano keys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this. I like it the way it is but I can also picture another fancy border similar to the diagonal borders with another black frame around it. I like all your designs but this is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely medallion quilt, re bias edges they were saying on a cg=raft channel the other day to spray starch them before trying to put them together not sure if it helps but plan to try it sometime.Some good suggestions re borders I know you will come up with a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love the diagonal borders! I guess I missed that part of the plan before. The wide black feels pretty final to me, and I like the way it balances the petals. But I know if you are feeling strongly about another border, it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an interesting medalion quilt. I admire how you come up with so many original and beautiful quilts. Just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire all this color-balance and like the quilt very much!
    Am looking forward which idea "à la Audrey" you will find to create your border!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this one. I have right from the start, but those borders really add to it. It is just what I need to see on this crazy day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The things you come up with just amaze me. They are not supposed to work together but they always do. Don't give this one away when you're finished quilting. It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one has marinated beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful! Some times the slow cooking ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, gosh...this is outstanding as is! I just love it. I'm not a border person because I can't ever think of what to do in a border and like making lots of the same blocks besides but I think you have inspired me to try a diagonal border. I just love what you've done with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's fabulous as-is! The binding will take care of any stretch, surely. I love this quilt. It is so YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The diagonal borders are fantastic. Some how I missed you working on this one. Personally, I think it needs some more borders. But, of course, I'm not the one sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's lovely as is but am also kind of intrigued to see what you would come up with if you kept going.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seeing a photo that inspires but never being able to find it again. That has happened to me more than once. Even a king through history didn't help. Now I try harder to bookmark sites but still miss some.
    I love your quilt so far. It is tricky to add another border after my eyes have become accustomed to the current state; however, I've always been p,eased with the results once I work through the issue. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.